Østerbø Maskin AS is an equipment supplier that takes customer training a step further.
By: Ove Sjøstrøm/Fremsnakk Media
- We took action when SINTEF reported the risk of salmon escaping as a result of the incorrect use of maintenance equipment for fish farm nets, says Managing Director Steinar Holen at Østerbø Maskin AS in Bjordal, Høyanger.
Østerbø Maskin has a good reputation as a reliable supplier, but in order to guarantee a continued good reputation, it is important that the equipment supplied is used correctly.
Taking responsibility all the way
The aquaculture industry is one of the company’s main markets. The net cleaner Østebø Yanmar helps to maintain the nets and contributes to good fish health. It is seldom that use of a net washer is the cause of net damage, but as an equipment supplier, Østerbø Maskin has chosen to be proactive. A simple instruction manual is not enough.
- We needed a realistic visual instruction manual for our advanced net washer that would be able to demonstrate correct usage in an easy manner. That is why we contacted the 3D designers at Nagelld.
- We take responsibility all the way until the equipment is delivered and the customer starts to use it, he says and continues:
- We needed a realistic visual instruction manual for our advanced net cleaner that would be able to demonstrate correct usage in an easy manner. That is why we contacted the 3D designers at Nagelld.
Virtual 3D models
Nagelld in Frekhaug, Meland , outside Bergen, makes virtual 3D models for small and big projects. A new ship, a building, a machine: There are no limits for what can be made as a dynamic model.
Managing Director Helge Bjordal has four designers in his team. They use 3D Studio Max, a powerful software tool that can represent anything in a lifelike manner.
- Three of our designers have a bachelor degree, he says and adds:
- That is a necessity in order to be able to exploit the potential of the software we use to make most of the animations.
Nagelld has made four versions of the training film for Østerbø Maskin. The films are used interactively with new and existing customers.
- We had the films made because it is important for us to follow up our customers. We also think it is a good thing that the aquaculture industry uses equipment that helps to run operations in as environmentally friendly a way as possible, says Holen.
40 years of knowledge
Østerbø Maskin will be turning 40 soon and the company is still growing. In 2015 it had a turnover of NOK 55 million, while this year the turnover is expected to be NOK 66 million, or even a little more. Throughout its history, the company has provided jobs and created value.
- One of our advantages is that we are a local medium-sized company with 28 employees. We can act quickly if we need to, says Holen.
Arne O. Østerbø started the company in 1977. For the first few years it had a modest workload and only a few employees. Today the company is involved in industrial maintenance and troubleshooting for various branches of the electrical, automation and mechanical sector. The company also has a machine shop and service centre. Østerbø Maskin has become one of the largest employers on the south side of Høyanger Municipality.
Holen himself has worked his way up from the shop floor.
- I have been working here for 30 years and was lucky enough to start on the shop floor. That means I have acquired a thorough knowledge of the company’s work processes and the demands of the customers.
- It takes time and hard work to build up trust in the market, he says.
A difficult market
In 2014 the company recruited more owners to invest fresh capital.
- An increase in capital and new impulses were necessary in order for us to be able to continue to grow. But we cannot rest on our laurels. We need to work constantly in order to maintain the position we have. We operate in a difficult market, says Holen.
Our skilled mechanics and electricians work together in order to meet customer needs. This means that the customer only has to relate to one supplier.
Nagelld has considerable experience working for the maritime and aquaculture industries, and has accumulated a high level of technical insight through a variety of projects. This was an advantage for Østerbø Maskin.
- They know our branch well, which made it very easy to get good films intended for the aquaculture industry, he says and concludes:
- We are happy to recommend Nagelld.
The impossible possible
Aquaculture/ fisheries >>
Shipping/ maritime >>
Technical industry >>
The impossible possible >>